Saturday, August 11, 2007

Indonesian

The language that they speak here in Indonesia is Indonesian (as so many were asking before I came). Actually right now my blog page has switched into Indonesian and I can't figure out how to change it, so all directions and labels on my screen I have to just guess at. :) The language is pretty simple and will be easy to learn even though I'm not one gifted at languages. I know once school starts, however, I won't have much time to devote to language study but I still think I'll be able to pick up enough to get by. At least that is what I am hoping because right now it's a little frustrating to not be able to communicate with people. Yes is ya which is nice because it comes very naturally. No is tidak, a little more difficult to remember. Indonesian doesn't have any verb conjugation so if you want to say something all you have to do is state the person and then the verb. No need to change it depending on the person or whether it is past, present or future. The hardest part might just be sitting down and memorizing words. Mostly right now I'm just getting by with pointing or acting it out. Lots of hand motions and nonverbal communication can get you pretty far.

No comments: