Monday, May 25, 2009

Next Week's Summer???

Yesterday I was telling my 6th grade students about their math exam. I explained what was going to be on it and when it was. I also started explaining to them the special schedule we will have for exams and that they can go home at 11:30 on Tuesday and Wednesday. I told them on Thursday we have an all day, all school field trip planned and Friday is a half day back at the school to say goodbye and wrap up the year.

When I was done one of them raised their hands and asked, "So next week's summer?" I slowly responded, "Yes, I guess it is." It caught me off guard for some reason. Perhaps because I have been so caught up in the many events happening recently that I haven't even thought much about it. Or perhaps because I had not realized it was next week. Or perhaps it feels that it is coming way too fast.

Regardless of the reason it surprised me, the fact remains true that next week starts summer for us here. We officially finish June 5th with students and have one last teacher work day on June 8th. Some friends and I will be traveling one last time together to enjoy the beach and some sea turtles from June 9th-12th. Then I'll be packing up and flying home on June 14th. Right around the corner! I will be in Pasadena from June 15th - August 1st (with a quick trip to Memphis from June 21st - July 3rd).

I would love to see many of you while I am home. You who have been supporting me from afar and praying for me have been so crucial to my time here. You may not even realize that it has been your prayers that have helped me through this year and all that it has held. I hope we can find a time to get together and catch up. Sometimes it has been hard to keep this blog updates and there are lots more things that have happened over the course of the year that I would love to share.

Lastly, please pray for me over the next couple of weeks as we end the school year. There are lots of events planned and things to do that will keep us very busy. This weekend for example: Friday is graduation, Saturday is a Student Council recognition dinner along with one last "after-party" with them, and Sunday is a farewell party for one of my good friends, Jennie, who is leaving Bandung to move to a different city in Indonesia. The following week the students will be taking exams, going on an all day field trip around Bandung, and saying one last goodbye together before summer begins. That next weekend we'll have our staff banquet to say goodbye to those leaving and celebrate a great year together. The following Monday is a work day to clean up our classrooms and get all our check-out work done and papers signed. After that we'll be driving our motor bikes to the beach. Please pray for safety! And for a relaxing time together before we all take off and go our separate ways. Then please pray for me as I leave June 14th from Jakarta to fly to LA. Pray for safe and smooth travel. It's a long flight back and this time I will need to spend the night in the Kuala Lumpur Airport along the way.

Thank you so much! You are such a blessing to me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Emily,
What adventures you've had. We've loved reading about every single one of them...even the interesting food blogs. I've been particularly impressed with your ideas and thoughts on teaching. Of course we look forward to having you home. Dennis and I will try to make it home when you are there. I have to have shoulder surgery on June 9th. Have to wait to see how things go. Much love, Aunt Barb