Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Let me explain...



If you've looked at my Picasa Web Album at all you'll notice that I don't have any comments on the pictures from our Sea Tribe Trip. I haven't had time to sit down and comment on each one, but there are a few that need a little explanation. Such as these two.

These were taken the last night we were on the first island. The island was holding a big perpisahan, or going away party, for us. The women in the house where we were staying got all excited and picked out just the right outfits for us to wear. They lent us their best clothes and we tried them on to make sure they would fit.

But they also got so excited to do our make-up. As the time drew near for us to join the rest of our team at the perpisahan, a whole bunch of young women showed up at our house... most of whom I'd never seen before. They brought all their own make-up and set to work on us. Each of us had our own special make-over and when they were done none of us recognized each other. :) Then they did our hair- each one different. I especially like Jemma's with the antennas sticking out. :)

Although the outcome was kind of scary (I am still a little frightened to look at these pictures) we had fun none-the-less. I was so proud of how well the girls in my house took the whole thing. They didn't complain or really even hesitate. When asked if they liked that color of eye shadow, they quickly said "sure I love it." I told them that Lena would be wanting the same color lip stick as me and she just smiled back at me. :)

It was so fun being in a house with these girls for 4 days. They were very willing to jump in and try anything. We ate tons and tons of food. Each meal we were served lots of rice and tried to eat as much as we could so that the Ibu (mom) of the house would know we enjoyed the food and thus enjoyed their culture and the people. One meal I remember turning to Lena and we both agreed that the food was SO good. We were full but we didn't want to stop eating because it was so good. We also enjoyed bathing at the well with the women in our household, letting them do inai to our fingers (a type of henna that is popular on the islands), and learning to play their traditional drum instrument.

More stories to come...

No comments: