Sunday, September 2, 2007

My Students

God has been breaking my heart for my students. Each one has a story of why they are here, what crazy things their parents are up to, and how they feel about Indonesia. The more I learn, the more I am burdened for them and their struggles. Let's just take for example my Eighth grade class. They are the most well behaved of all my classes and overall quite bright. The are easy to manage and teach, and yet I've only skimmed the surface of getting to know them. Two of my students had a live in helper who attacked her and her family the weekend before school started. One of my eighth graders and her brother came to school the first day all bandaged up and very shook up. I gave the eighth graders their first test on Friday and the last question asked them to tell me about themselves in at least 10 sentences. One said she studied all summer like all Koreans. She finished Algebra 1 but still has to take it this year. (I'll have to find ways to challenge her because she is already quite bored.) Another who is brand new to Bandung told me she is not a big fan of school and even openly listed some of her faults. Another mentioned his dad is a pastor at a Korean church in Bandung. One who has only been here for 8 months said that one day she is going to go back to Korea and meet up with her best friend. Another told me her sister is in China doing High School. One mentioned that if I ever have bug trouble or want to know something about Indonesian wildlife he's my man. They are so diverse, not just in ethnicity but in personality and interests as well. Two of my students' family invited all their current and past teachers over last night for a barbeque. It was delicious and fun to be in the home of a family.

Third floor... my classroom is the one down at the end.

All the high school lockers are on the third floor.

Students roaming the halls during break.

Second floor... all of the middle school lockers are down here. All of the lockers have keys that open them not combinations. Students get pretty creative with what they do with their keys so they don't loose them. Some carry their key around along with a dozen or so key chains. One student even hangs his key from his glasses.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Emily,
What wonderful photos and adventures. Dennis wants you to try some durian for him; he didn't get to try it when he was in Indonesia. I start school on Tuesday with the kids. I'm not quite ready, but after all these years, I know it will all work out. On another note, we were outbid on the house we wanted; there's still a slim chance, but maybe there's a better house that God has in store for us. Blessings and prayers Em. Love, Barb and Dennis

Anonymous said...

Darling Emily,
I really enjoyed this post (I've really enjoyed all your posts!). I will continue to pray for you and your students. Glad to hear you are doing well. love you lots.
-Kristen