Friday, September 11, 2009

Time for an Adventure

It was getting to be about that time to get out of Kota Baru and have a bit of an adventure. Plus Molly needed to check out a lake that she's going to be taking her students to on a field trip next week. So a few of us hopped on motorbikes and started driving.

Here's what we found:



Some traffic, weird trucks on the road, beautiful trees, and children in cool uniforms getting out of school


A really big lake, funny peddle boats, wooden docks and a fun boat ride


A whole fishing town out over the water and a yummy fish lunch


One of the highlights of the day was the "peddle-your-own" roller coaster we found.



The price seemed reasonable enough. Rp 8000 is about $0.80.
But if that seems too expensive for you, it's Rp 8000 per becak (car)
so that's only $0.40 per person.



Here are the becaks. But they aren't connected to each other like a normal roller coaster.



And yes, when I say "peddle-your-own" I do mean that there were peddles
and we had to get ourselves around the track. This is when I began to get
a little nervous. I am not a lover of bikes or the need to peddle myself anywhere.



Are these looks of excitement or nervousness?



Excitement



Off we go.
There was lots of yelling out of fear that we were going to die as the car rocked
back and forth on the track. At one point Laura, who was riding with me, started
screaming "I don't want to die here!" over and over again. She had stopped
peddling and I was laughing so hard I couldn't yell back at her to keep peddling.



And of course we found some new friends along the way :)

2 comments:

Mama Mote said...

It is so cool seeing all the adventures that a lot of people are into these days. I can live vicariously through you all, even though I would love to be able to go on a real adventure myself. Those 'roller coasters' do look intimidating. Don't know if I would get around very well with my bad knees since you have to peddle yourself. But it still looks fun. Keep having fun and posting.

Mom said...

You should not be telling me these adventures!!! You guys do not observe safety first!!! I'm glad no one died!!!!