Saturday, September 19, 2009

Mohon Maaf

Ramadan came to an end last night. The local people stayed up all night praying. And when I say praying this is not a private, stay in your own closet kind of thing. Praying here is very much a public, communal affair. All the people gather at mosques to pray together. And those not present can still join in because they make sure to blare it all over the loud speakers. So as I lay in bed last night trying to get some sleep, I was constantly reminded that I was not there participating with them. And when I woke up this morning they were still going strong- sermons and chanting blaring outside my bedroom.

But all of this also means Ramadan is over, to which celebrating should be given. And a group of us are taking off for vacation since they gave us a week off of school. We will be going to Malaysia. I'm sure I'll have lots of pictures and stories to share when I return.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Em,
We just heard there was another earthquake near the island of Sumatra. We'd like to hear from you. Grandma Clauson just flew home today after a great 3 week visit.
Take care,
Love,
Aunt Barb

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.