Thursday, September 10, 2009

Statistics

The newest class I am teaching is statistics. It's a semester long course for 11th and 12th graders who want to take math (but don't want to take Precalculus or Calculus). Really the truth is that we are enjoying learning stats together. :) Right now they are working on a group project collecting data from the population of BAIS students and then presenting their data in different forms.

In all of this my love for statistics is growing. Today our director shared the following with us and I thought I would pass it along to whoever else might find it interesting. I know I did. :)

Some statistics as of 9/9/09:

We have 207 students
They come from 14 countries

Top 4 countries are in this order:
Korea 32.37%
USA 29.95%
Indonesia 28.50%
Taiwan 2.42%

108 students, 53.17% are business families
82 students, 39.61% are Mks (not including NICS)
15 students, 7.25% are NICS (staff kids)

Family religious backgrounds:
Christian 85.02%
Catholic 4.83%
Buddhist 3.86%
Muslim 0.48%

And my personal favorite (passed on by a colleague of mine):
We have 56 middle school students
Of those 38 are boys

Lastly, right now I am teaching 5 different middle school and high school classes and have a total of 91 students!

2 comments:

Arijaan said...

Em! This is so interesting!!! Feel like I know the demographics of your campus a lot more now. You are doing such a great job updating your blog friend, I need to learn from you. :) I love you much!

AK in Indo said...

I have been wandering around cyberspace curious about what's happening at BAIS and I enjoyed this stats commentary. =o)

~Clarissa R