Friday, July 6, 2007

PFO- Days 11 and 12

Wow I can't believe my time here in Mississippi is coming to a close. It does feel like I've been here a long time and part of me is ready to go home. I've met a lot of great people who are going to be moving all over the world to teach many different grades and subjects. One of the most fun "meetings" I had was with an older woman named Rona Lee. Rona came up to me the other day because she heard that I attended Cal Poly SLO. I told her I had attended Grace Church and then the connection was made. Rona had attended Grace for over 30 years. When her husband died a little less than a year ago, Rona grieved her loss but then it wasn't long before she was meeting with Pastor Tim about what God might have for her in the next chapter of her life. This past January she followed God's call to go serve in Turkey as a guidance counselor at the NICS school there. I first heard about Rona in a sermon Pastor Tim preached on Caleb about 3 weeks ago. It was so crazy to find out she was here at PFO. As soon as she told me her name and her connection to Grace, I remembered hearing about her in Pastor Tim's sermon. She thought it was so fun that I knew who she was. It just reinforced the repeating theme that the world is small. Some of the most significant relationships that I've made here have been with the other staff members that I will be working with in Indonesia. This is an answer to pray because it will make arriving in a foreign country much easier knowing I will be meeting up with people I know and have already come to love.

Yesterday morning we had a powerful seminar on purity. In the afternoon we met with our advisors one-on-one and I took a nice long nap. Last night we had a talent show. I can't say it was all talent that we saw but it was fun. Today we got more information on some of the policies of NICS, heard from the founder/director, and had a session on health coverage. This afternoon we got a chance to play a game called Settlers with some of the "Indonesia people". Tonight we had our closing dinner and celebration. They had the dinner catered and made it a special meal. After dinner they had a special thank you program for those who had made PFO possible. Tomorrow we have a closing session and communion, then pack up and lunch. My flight takes off at 2:20 and gets into LAX around 4:30. Please pray that my flight leaves on time and I don't have to sit in the airport all afternoon.

No comments: