Sunday, November 15, 2009

Weird Weekend

What a weird weekend.

Lots of odd things happened this weekend.

Perhaps it started last Friday when I walked into my classroom in the morning and there was a bird flying around inside. It kept darting back and forth across the room, smashing into the window over and over again.

Then Friday night I drove my motor bike into town (about 45 minute drive) in the pouring rain. The strange thing was that it was raining so hard and so hard to see but pedestrians kept j-walking across the street anyway. On top of that there were several motor bikes on the road driving without their lights on. Very, very dangerous.

Saturday morning on my way into town I saw a guy peddling a bicycle. Strapped to the side of the bicycle was a door. Yes, a whole door. He made it look quite easy to ride his bike with this large object tied to it but I had a feeling it was not.

Saturday was filled with weird things but perhaps the weirdest was the adventure a few of us went on to find a crocodile farm we had heard rumors about. We were told it was up in Lembang, a mountain town about an hour from where we live. Apparently there is a guy in Singapore that has a wife in Lembang and goes there once a month to see her. As his hobby he bought some crocodiles so that he could enjoy them when he came. We had heard you can watch them feed the crocodiles live chickens. A friend had been before and fed them live rabbits. We stuck with dead chickens. It was kind of like jaws where you could sense something under the water and then they brought out the chicken and out of the water came the largest crocodile I have ever seen.

(Oh I almost forgot! On Sunday I was sitting on the side of the road waiting for a guy to come back with a motor bike to be a taxi for my friend so she could join us for lunch after church. As I sat there a woman walked up to me and in pretty good English asked me what I was doing. I told her I was just waiting. Then she proceeded to invite me to her son's wedding next weekend. It has always been his dream to have an international wedding, she told me. He would really love it if white people came. So she asked if I would please come. Then without giving more details about time or location she walked away. So weird.)

Oh Indonesia. You never stop surprising me.

2 comments:

Mama Mote said...

You are having adventures some people only dream of. What an opportunity you've had to see another part of God's beautiful creation - such a mixed bag of things to make us laugh, cry and learn from. God bless.

Anonymous said...

Morning Em,
I think Mr. Singapore should stick with salt and pepper shakers, tea cups, spoons etc. Less chance for it to be a reverse hobby. Still just when you think you've seen very thing right? Go to the wedding...it's what Clausons do, right Akemi and Paul?
Love,
Aunt Barb