Thursday, February 19, 2009

It's a small, small world... and some birthday fun

I have had many moments since I've been here of realizing it's a small, small world. I had one a couple months ago when I met an old friend here in Bandung.

Andrea and I went to Sunday school together at Lake Ave Church until about 5th grade. I remember being in the same small group with her in 5th grade at church. I don't think I had seen her since then. Last spring I saw someone at the international church here that looked really familiar. I couldn't really place why she looked familiar or where I might know her from, so I just brushed it off. It wasn't until about November of this year that it all clicked. My long lost friend, Andrea, from sunday school so long ago is here living in Bandung. What are the chances! Both of us, for different reasons, under difference circumstances, find ourselves living in the same city on the other side of the globe from where we first met. Crazy... let me say it again- it's a small, small world.

Andrea and I chat at my birthday dinner

Over a month ago now, we went out to dinner to celebrate my 24th birthday. I had heard about a new restaurant that served Mediterranean food so we decided to check it out. We sat on the floor around a low table in a brightly painted room. We enjoyed trying Indonesians version of some Mediterranean favorites like hummus, tabbouleh, baba ganosh, and pita bread.

It was fun to be surrounded by friends and laughter for my birthday celebration. I feel excited about the year to come and all that it holds. Here are a few photos of our dinner:

Us gathered around the table

Me excited to try the food

A new tradition has become giving the birthday girl some random surprises...

like this candy called Nano-Nano (a special flavor of sweet, sour, and spicy)...
I think they were making fun of my new Nano ipod

Group shot

Then on to a different spot for dessert.
We went to a restaurant up the mountain a ways where you could see the view of the city lights.

2 comments:

Mama Mote said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun for your birthday. And I love how God brings people BACK into our lives after years and years of no contact. You were meant to get back together at this time for some reason. You think? Pretty cool.

Anonymous said...

oh to go to different restaurants for dinner and dessert! now that's how i like to celebrate! love you SO much. so good to talk to you today.