Saturday, August 7, 2010

Rumah Baru {new house}

The day after I arrived back here, my roommate and I went to the paint store, had my room painted, and hung curtains. A week after arriving, we already had the whole inside of our new house painted with a fresh coat of paint. Now two weeks later, we are all moved in and settled in and I am loving my new house. I thought I would give you a tour so you can have a picture of where I live.

This is the road that I live on. At the very end is my house.

Here's my lovely little house in the kampung.

This is the first room that you see when you enter. It's very Indonesian to have a
front sitting room where you can host visitors. This furniture is also very Indonesian. :)

There is a door that shuts off the front sitting room from the rest of the house.
This is what you see next as you enter through there- a more casual living room.

Going out the back door you'll find our back patio. Our landlord put lots of plants-
because we are women, he said. Also, back here is a small guest bedroom
(to the right) and very small bathroom (to the left).

Here's my room, which is downstairs and the largest room in the house.
My window faces the street so the curtains are imperative for privacy. :)

Our house has two levels. Here is the view of the living room/dinning area from upstairs.

Here's our kitchen and a view of the stairs, along with our beautiful chandelier-
also very Indonesian. :)

Going upstairs, there are two small bedrooms.
This is the upstairs bathroom that my roommates share.
The big basin is normally filled with water and local Indonesians would bucket bathe
from that. As you can see we had a normal shower installed and a hot water heater,
along with a western style toilet to replace the more common squat pot.

Our upstairs "study"- We transformed this small room into a little sitting area.

Outside from that room is our balcony/upstairs porch area.
It's perfect for sitting and admiring the beautiful view.

It also doubles as a laundry area.

This is Pak Ian's house. He is our landlord and neighbor across the way. He has been great so far at helping us get settled in and is our regular "fix-it" man.

Oh, ya and a motor bike passing by- a very frequent occurrence.
If you look closely there is a family of four on it.

2 comments:

anna said...

sister,

your house looks absolutely lovely. wish i could come for a visit! i think i'd spend a lot of time on your balcony. :)

LOVE YOU!

Anonymous said...

I surely agree with Anna...your house looks lovely but I'm not much to travel anymore...a homebody these days. Everything looks so fresh and clean. Paul is helping me learn your ex-computer. I love it , Emily! Thank you and love you too, very much. Blessings,
Grandma