Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Sea Tribe 2010

I am finally getting around to posting about this. Sorry it has taken me over a month. This year I once again joined our school's annual Sea Tribe Youth trip. A group of 14 students and 8 adults spent 12 days near Batam on some remote islands. This year I helped lead the trip and was stretched beyond what I thought I was capable to make it all happen. But "The One who calls you is faithful and He will do it." I have seen how true this is.
Here is our team at one of the meetings we had before we left.
I have a bazillion pictures of our trip and a few dozen stories of our time. Many of you may have already read the story I wrote about my experience. If you have not and would like to, let me know and I will email it to you. As this is my third time going many of the pictures and experiences may seem familiar to those of you who have been tracking my blog and faithful to look at my photo albums each year. Because of that I thought I would just share a quick snap shot of it all. So to recap:
 
 We took lots of boat rides- here is just one. These girls are the ones I stayed with on the first island. I really enjoyed my time with them and serving the local people along side of them.
Our first island was different from all other one's I have been to because it was a BIG island. There were stores, paved roads, cars, etc. When we got there the first thing we did was load into two buses, which took us to the part of the island that we would stay at. We worked with one of the high schools and stayed in the homes of some of the teachers.
Our second island was the complete opposite- very tiny. You could circle the whole island in 10 minutes (no exaggeration). We enjoyed staying right on the water here though. You might be wondering what we did while we were there...
 
 We spent much of our time sitting around on the floor and talking.
 
 We drank A LOT of tea and ate A LOT of traditional food. Some favorites this year was snail and sting ray.
 
 We did a work project on both islands. Here Bora and I work on cementing the volleyball court we made.
 
 We sat around and laughed and watched our team compete with the locals in sports.
We swam in the ocean and played on the beach.
 
 We learned to play the kompong (traditional drum instrument).
 
 We participated in the local tradition of inai. (Similar to henna.)
We got to wear their traditional clothes.
And of course we met some new friends.
I have lots and lots more pictures. Tons of pictures of cute kids like this one. Tons of pictures of the island people and their daily life. Tons of pictures of beautiful sunsets and sunrises, boat rides, ocean views, etc. We had a great trip! Thanks to those of you who were praying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Em,
I always look forward to hearing about your adventures.
See you soon,
Love,
Aunt Barb