Thursday, January 7, 2010

Radical

: returning to the root or origin. That is what I did. Christmas break was lovely and while I was back in America I "returned," as you might say, to the "root." I had the opportunity to meet up with some friends from college in San Luis Obispo, my college town. It was a beautiful time of remembering where I had come from, my roots, and what God had done in my life in college. We went to the beach and watched the sunset. We swung on the swings while watching the waves come crashing in and then going out again, just like I used to do in college. We ate at some favorite restaurants. We enjoyed frozen yogurt and wandered around downtown, window shopping all afternoon. We hiked my favorite mountain, letting the view take our breath away and the cool wind rejuvenate us. We stayed up way too late talking and catching up on all the things that have happened since we left that small town to venture out into the big, big world. I'm stealing this quote from a friends blog. Yes, I'm one of those. But it so perfectly summed up my feelings about my time of returning for the holidays and especially my time of reflection that weekend I spent back in San Luis Obispo. "In a sense, it’s the coming back, the return, which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don’t know where we’ve been until we’ve come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was because of who we’ve become, which is, after all, why we left." –Bernard, Northern Exposure
San Luis Obispo
Hiking Bishop's Peak
Lots of laughs and lots of chatting
Enjoying a beautiful sunset with good friends
   
 I love swings. I had forgotten how much. Sometimes it's the simple things in life.

1 comment:

Mama Mote said...

Oh, your pictures make me homesick. We had to move to LA about a year ago, so it was really hard to leave SLO. Don't know if you knew this, but I moved there when I was 10. But thinking about what you wrote, I see TONS of history in that town. Now I'm in a city I just can't grasp quite yet. The traffic, the smog, the fast pace, no job....it's been hard, but we're trying to make it home. Where we are is actually nice since we are two miles from the beach. Haven't been down there in a little while, so will have to venture out again. Thanks for this and the pictures.