Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Jogja Trip

A couple weeks ago now a group of teachers from the school took off on a vacation for Chinese New Year holiday. We traveled to a city in central Java called Jogjakarta, or just Jogja, known as the center of Indonesian culture. We saw two really neat temples (one Hindu and one Buddhist), watched the traditional Indonesian ballet, saw a rather strange and disturbing bird market, made our own silver rings, and tried some new food (I can now add horse and pigeon to my list of weird things I've eaten in Indonesia).

Along the way I learned the Indonesian word bohong, which means lie. A friend and I planned the trip for the group and it seemed that so much of what people had told us about Jogja ended up not being true. That and once we got there we kept running into people who told us mixed information or even wrong information. Oh well, at least I learned a new Indonesian word out of the deal.

It's taken me awhile but I finally got the pictures from the trip up on a web album. Click on the following link to view them: http://picasaweb.google.com/emilyinbandung/JogjaTrip

No comments: